Saturday, December 20, 2008

MY FAMILY IS HUGE TO ME


“Most pastors have great difficulty keeping the pressures of the ministry from affecting the pleasures of their homes. That’s why it is crucial that Pastors learn that some areas of ministry exist in which they’ll please most people but probably not all of them. Ministers must learn to draw the line in the sand. Then they must leave it and go home to love the members their primary mission field their family,” (thoughts taken from Living in a Glass House by Donald Harvey).

Let me be honest: in my 28 years of ministry, this area has been hard. My family knows that I love them and they love me but sometimes I am absorbed in the work of the ministry. I am not proud of it and I always need to keep it in check. How are you doing in keeping your #1 mission field the main thing?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I push back the culture that demands my time in the evenings. Sunday night through Thursday night is about my children 1st. Even though I teach, and work with food pantries on some of these nights, NOTHING is allowed to move my heart away from my children. We work at their speed, and I prep the day to revolve around their needs. It makes what we do so much more enjoyable for all of us, even if it is just homework, or food pantry visits. When I feel others may have too much of my attention, and I can’t seem to break free, I run away with my children. Sometimes for a day, or a weekend, not too long ago it was for a whole week. The other thing that is HIGHLY important is me getting my needs met so I have something in my “emotional” well to give to my children.

Betty-Anne